In other news this week, we are finding how important it is to keep an eye on the clock when out shopping. There are 5 calls to prayer everyday that sound out from the mosques. You can hear them pretty much wherever you are (including my classroom). The three that usually effect us are around lunchtime, another around 3pm, and another around 6pm. If you are in a store around these times they either close and you have to leave or lock you in and shut down the registers for around 30 minutes. I have downloaded an up to date prayer schedule on my ipod touch to keep us on track. So far, the only store that has given us a warning that prayer time is coming has been IKEA (where we picked up some good household items)
Before I go, I want to mention the weather. For all of you in the Midwest or any other place in the country, you do not understand heat or humidity. We are consistently around the 110F mark. I haven’t seen a heat index, but I imagine it is considerably higher when it is humid enough to fog your glasses the moment you leave your home or fog our house windows or sweat through not just your shirt, but your pants also. I believe in Wisconsin we would call that a sauna. We will be and are already becoming acclimatized to heat and have learned to drink plenty of water.
That is all for now. Enjoy the pictures and we will give another update about the first week of school soon.
Can't believe I am hearing from you half way around the world- feels like you are next door. Thanks for letting us in on your life - I love reading about what is going on!
ReplyDeleteGot a call from Bill just after his graduation - it was good to talk with him!
Nate got a job in Antioch last week teaching 2nd grade - he just got his room yesterday so has been spending some time trying to get things ready! Have supplied him with as much as I could find around the house and shopping - what fun - he is sooo excited (and probably a little nervous too) Di and Nate will be moving out next weekend and have found a place in DesPlaines to rent which will put them at a good halfway point for both of their jobs!
Ry, Meg, and the girls are doing great - Doug and I have them labor day weekend when Ry and Meg go camping with their small group! Can hardly wait - the girls are cooing and rolling and laughing and blowing bubbles and........FUN!
Paul just got home from Haiti and Ruth was hoping to see him last night - haven't heard! Luke seems to be doing well (except for a little intestinal bug). James and Sarah will be moving to Chicago next weekend to begin school!
Well, that's about it!
Keep us updated - love hearing!
Love, Aunt Deb
I want to see Jamie in one of those black outfits. Have fun teaching! We miss you guys.
ReplyDeleteJamie, make sure to bring a change of pants wherever you go, just in case you sweat through the first pair.