Saturday, October 3, 2009

Closed school Open Desert

Well, this last week has been a bit different. We spent all week planning for our first week of virtual school, which started today. Tara has been much busier than me since she volunteered to handle a lot of the emailing to get the students setup on Blackboard (our virtual school program). I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of bumps in the road. I already had a student come in saying she didn’t get the delivery I sent out (we did some deliveries to compounds to get students materials). I imagine there are many more students who are waiting until we come back to tell us they didn’t get something they needed to do their work. All in all it’s a good learning experience for everyone, but school is just not as fun without students.

Secondly, we have begun the process of vehicle shopping. Tara insists on a SUV since the driving is crazy and I’m not arguing. We have a couple of leads, and hopefully soon we can post a picture of our new car (after I clean it, apparently that’s not a priority before selling a car here).

Lastly, yesterday we went out on our first Hash Harriers run. I’m not sure where the name Hash Harrier comes from, but it was a lot of fun. A dozen of us rode a good ways out into the desert to go for a 50 minute run. Traditionally there is a course setup with different splits and side routes and false trails laid with chalk or flour. There is a whole lingo with this run that I don’t understand, but if done right, no one gets lost. I wasn’t worried about getting lost since there weren’t that many of us, we weren’t real spread out, and we were in a desert where most parts were pretty high visibility. Tara was the only female running and I think she was the first girl to run the hash this fall. We were a bit nervous about keeping up with everyone, but we came to realize it was more fun than competitive.

We hope you enjoy the pictures.

Until next time,

Jamie


Dave and Nick checking out the dead goat remains. We think it was a goat at least.

Tara is running hard!



Jamie sitting on a Saudi toilet at an abandoned Saudi camp site. It wasn't even in the bushes.


Feeling strong


The runners and walkers after the run

Resting at a check point. I'm not sure what big piles of concrete were doing out there.






No comments:

Post a Comment